2014 was an another year full of gorgeous beauty trends and amazing beauty products. In this article, I’ll summarize some of the top beauty trends and products of 2014. If you are a makeup beginner, this will be a good guide for potential products to buy and use because these will probably still be pretty popular next year. If you want to know and learn more about makeup, look for these items in the future! =)
1. Multi-Purpose Products: This seriously is my favorite beauty trend of the year!! Who out there is lazy like me? Luckily for us lazy people, amazing multi-purpose beauty products were released and trended this year. The top trending, high-end products of 2014 were, The Multiple from Nars and Baby Doll Kiss & Blush Lips & Cheeks from Yves Saint Laurent. The Copacabana shade from Nars and the hot pink and coral shades from YSL were especially hot. These shades were out of stock so many times earlier this year because they were used by celebrities. A well-known, lower-end product was the Etude House’s Play 101 Pencils. These pencils can be used not only for lips and cheeks, but also on eyelids as eyeshadows. These pencils have over 50 different shades!
2. CC Creams/Cushion Foundations: 2014 was almost like the second season of the CC creams and cushion foundations. Most first generation CC creams and cushion foundations were developed and released in 2012 and 2013. Then this year, the NEW second generation products were launched. Most of these are revised versions of their first generation products, so they have several new or improved features. I don’t think there’s a single brand that I can recommend over the others. All different brands and products sold well.
3. Orchid Shades: Have you guys noticed how much the color orchid trended this year, especially in the spring? Orchid was Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2014. It’s a gorgeous shade between fuschia and purple. Many different companies released new makeup products (especially lip and cheek products) in this shade. Even Benefit was influenced by this trend and released a new tint called Lolli Tint. It is a beautiful pink shade with a purple undertone. Mac and Urban Decay released new eyeshadows in orchid called Lotusland and Fishnet. As for blushes, Mac’s Azalea Blossom and NYX’s Rosey were the most well-known. Even though 2014 is almost over, orchid is a nice shade for calm and elegant makeup looks and can still be used for makeup looks in the future! If you haven’t tried this shade, you definitely should try at least one of these products =)
4. The Palettes: How can we talk about makeup trends without mentioning eyeshadow palettes, right? Of course, the very famous Naked series from Urban Decay was highly popular all year round. However, there still were many other palettes that came out this year that were popular as well. Earlier this year, the new palettes from Urban Decay (Naked2 Basics) and Stila trended and were followed by Tarte and Bobbi Brown’s new palettes. But I bet the most popular, best-selling one was the Too Faced’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar. It only came out about month ago. However, ever since then, it completely took over the whole internet. It was trending on basically every single social networks. This is a great palette for all year round use! Alright, too much on the higher end products, right? Maybelline also released a palette called The Nudes. It is only around $9 and has great neutral shades for everyday makeup looks. If you are a beginner and don’t know what palette to start with, this would be a good choice!
5. Cleansing Brushes/Tools: Again, various cleansing brushes/tools from different brands trended this year.
- Cleansing brushes: Along with the well-known Clarisonic and Luna products, Clinique’s Sonic System Cleansing Brush was popular as well. Clinique released this product in the middle of 2014, and it definitely is much cheaper than the other two leading brand products. I read good reviews about Clinique’s brush and a good number of people said that it was a little more gentle than Clarisonic’s. However, Clinique’s has only one brush type. So if you are thinking about purchasing one, you should consult with experts at a nearby Clinique store or Sephora!!! But, yes, the new Clinique brush definitely is on my wish list.
- Cleansing sponges: For those of you who are on a tighter budget or prefer an easier-to-use cleansing product, cleansing sponges are a good choice. Two of the most trending products probably are the Boscia’s Konjac Cleansing Sponges and My Konjac Sponge’s All Natural Sponges. Both of them are available for different skin types.
What was your favorite 2014 beauty trend or product?
17 thoughts on “Wrapping up 2014 – The TOP 5 Beauty Trends/Products of the Year”
I have been obsessed with BB Creams this year!
YES YES YES BB CREAMS!! They are my life savers!! XD
I always thought they were dumb (I have no idea why) but recently became obsessed and now have like 10 different kinds. They are pretty awesome!
My favorite beauty trend of 2014 was the shift focus on eyebrow products! Did anyone notice that??
Yes! It’s amazing how eyebrows can affect our overall look! =) What was your favorite brow product?
Just received my chocolate bar palette and I am in love (and craving ) everytime I open it haha
So jealous! Did you get the original one or the new semi-sweet one?
Sorry i did not see your comment. I did get the original. After all the YT posts so many people said semi sweet wasn’t as pigmented
I agree with Jessica, I love the eyebrow products. You’re right about the multi- purpose stuff though, that is great too.
Love #1, and I heard that we can use pink blush as pink eyeshadow as well.
I am from the UK and I’m not sure where I can buy the urban decay palettes from. Does anyone know?
I think you could buy from Urban Decay website or eBay
Ok thank you (: